Coal-Fired Generation: The Backbone of Power
Some things never go out of style.
In the early days of electric power, coal was king. Today, it still serves as the backbone of baseload power generation supply. It's affordable, cleaner-burning and increasingly critical for our nation's long-term energy security.
Like coal, Burns & McDonnell never goes out of style. Invest in the most experienced coal-fired generation team in the industry: Burns & McDonnell.
Current Power Technologies, the Rich History of Coal
Burns & McDonnell has been involved in coal-fired generation for decades, bringing more than 10 gigawatts online since 1970.
Our project management team features professionals with more than 30 years of experience. This team of professionals is working on more than 10 new coal-fired facilities including an integrated gasification combined cycle (IGCC) unit, the Taylorville Energy Center for Christian County Generation LLC.
We have been a leader in fluidized bed projects, bringing producers the advantage of low emissions and a wider choice of fuels.
Hard Work, Innovation, Ambition for Your Coal Facilities
We also offer you the environmental services you need to get your plant running. We've handled permitting, BACT and MACT studies for more than 30 plants. Our work with KCP&L at Hawthorn resulted in the fifth-lowest production cost in the nation, the eighth-best NOx emissions in the nation, and the 10th-best SO2 emissions.
- KCP&L — Iatan Unit 2: Design and permitting support for 850 MW supercritical
- MidAmerican — Council Bluffs 4: Owner's engineer for 790 MW supercritical
- City Public Service (San Antonio) — JK Spruce Unit 2: Owner's engineer for 750 MW supercritical
- City Water, Light & Power (Springfield, Ill.) — Dallman Unit 4: Owner's engineer for 220 MW subcritical
- Peabody — Prairie State and Thoroughbred: Owner's engineer for 2x750 MW supercritical (Prairie State), 2x750 subcritical (Thoroughbred)
- Christian County Generation LLC — Taylorville Energy Center: Detailed design for 600 MW (net output) IGCC
- Western Farmers Electric Cooperative — Hugo Unit 2: Owner's engineer for 750 MW supercritical
- Tanjung Bin Sdn. Bhd.: Independent engineer for 3x700 MW generating facility
- Jimah Sdn. Bhd.: Independent engineer for 2x700 MW generating facility
- TXU Power — Oak Grove 1 & 2: Owner's engineer for 2x860 MW supercritical
- Detailed design
- Financing support
- Conceptual design
- Owner's engineer
- Engineer-procure-construct (EPC) turnkey services
- Construction and construction management
- Testing, including performance and emissions