Senior Process Engineer
Increase Plant Safety with Process Hazard Analysis
Process facility safety relies on early detection of potential hazards and modern protective measures to mitigate them.
Process hazard analysis (PHA) improves overall facility safety by identifying hazardous scenarios and recommending corrective actions.
Burns & McDonnell can perform these intensive assessments and help prevent potential hazards from becoming serious problems.
A Tool to Identify Inherent Risks and Hazards
Any industrial process utilizing hazardous chemicals has inherent risks and potential hazards. PHA is a tool used to identify these risks and hazards. The Burns & McDonnell team can lead you through the PHA process to detect potential problems in your process design and operation, and provide solutions to mitigate or minimize those hazards.
Burns & McDonnell has performed initial PHAs and revalidated existing analyses in a variety of business sectors across the country. By utilizing proper PHA methods and techniques, we can ensure the safe and reliable operation of your process while complying with state and federal regulations.
Burns & McDonnell can help you through each stage: preparation, facilitation, scribe and documentation.
- Hazard and operability (HAZOP) study
- Layer of protection analysis (LOPA)
- Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
- What-if analysis
- Fault tree analysis
- Deficiency (gap) analysis
- Risk assessment and safety integrity level (SIL)
- SIL verification
- Select appropriate methodology.
- Compile and/or develop process information, including piping and instrumentation diagrams, heat and material balances, equipment information, etc.
- Identify systems or nodes to be evaluated.
- Set up software used for tracking hazardous scenarios.
- Develop an agenda and identify critical team members. and recommendations.
- Guide team through the PHA process and engage all team members.
- Maintain team focus to remain on schedule.
- Record potential risk scenarios and any findings or recommendations.
- Use your preferred software to increase efficiency during the PHA process.
- Provide an accessible list of findings and recommendations.
- Report scope of the analysis, including findings and recommendations.