Burns & McDonnell provided program management services for the City of Kansas City for the Sprint Center arena in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The Sprint Center is the result of a partnership between the City of Kansas City and Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG).
The arena is designed and constructed to meet the National Hockey League (NHL) and National Basketball Association (NBA) standards and is ready to be the home for an NBA or NHL team. The 640,000-square-foot arena seats 17,000-19,000 people, depending on the event, and hosts concerts, family shows, special events and other sporting events in addition to basketball and hockey.
The Sprint Center is the home of the College Basketball Hall of Fame and serves as the headquarters of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Burns & McDonnell performed these activities to assist the city in its partnership with AEG:
- Assisting with the high-profile selection of the project design team that was covered on local and national media outlets.
- Developing a procurement strategy for key project components.
- Developing and maintained a master project schedule.
- Assisting with the selection of the construction manager at risk.
- Assisting the city with input to AEG concerning arena design.
- Reviewing design documents as they were developed to ensure key elements were included as well as provide a quality control review.
- Leading the city through the land acquisition process.
- Performing Phase I and Phase II environmental assessments on the property.
- Coordinating relocation efforts for all of the private utilities that were located on the arena property.
- Coordinating demolition efforts for all buildings on the four city block site as well as demolition of four city blocks of streets.
- Leading the removal of private utilities from the project site.
- Coordinating the removal and installation of new public utilities (water and sewer) around the arena.
- Providing construction oversight including managing the disbursements from the project disbursement account.