- Airport Central Heating & Cooling Utility Plant
Burns & McDonnell provided designs for the upgrade and expansion of the heating and cooling utility plants at the Washington Dulles International Airport. Work included the removal of existing chillers, cooling towers and high temperature hot water (HTHW) generators, and the installation of new HTHW generators, chillers, new cooling towers, new control system and fuel storage facility. Work also included a new 13.2-kV power distribution system from Virginia Power.
The design work included extensive phasing analysis and drawings to coordinate the construction work and maintain service to the airport terminal facilities throughout the construction phase. The expanded utility buildings include a new chiller bay containing eight new 2,010-ton chillers. A new primary/secondary pumping system was included with variable flow pumping provided for the secondary system to adapt to load conditions. The existing chillers and cooling towers were demolished and a new eight-cell cooling tower was provided. The cooling tower has plume abatement controls.
Two of the existing HTHW generators were removed and three new 70 mmBTU hot water generators were installed. A new pumping and control system for the HTHW system was designed to include a constant flow primary system and a variable flow secondary pumping system. The new HTHW system included a new expansion tank, dump tank, pressurization controls, compressed air system, 4,000-gallon backup fuel oil system, and associated piping and equipment.
Work also included new dual 13.2-kV duct banks and associated new transformers and switchgear to support the new equipment. A new control system, control room and a new supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) control room were also included.
- Callaway Auxiliary Feedwater Pump
- Seabrook Cybersecurity Plan Development
- Manufacturing & Plating Facility Consolidation
- Plating Facility Renovation
- Grey Water Project
- Cholla Station
- Packaged Hybrid CHP Plant
- Jimah Power Project
- Tanjung Bin Power Project
- Refinery Cooling Water & Boiler Water Feed System
- Finding Order Among the Chaos
- Article: Eyes in the Sky: Drone Info Is Shaping the Future
- BenchMark 2010 No. 3: News in Brief
- Industrial Boiler MACT
- Combined Heat and Power Plants: A Balanced Alternative
- Energy Efficiency Drives Environmental Efficiency
- Minimizing Flue Gas Desulfurization Costs
- Design Considerations for Use of Reclaimed Water at Alliant Energy?s Emery Generating Station
- NPDES Compliance: Analyzing the Possibilities to Meet Changing Regulations
- The Chattanoogan: Burns & McDonnell Opens Office on MLK Boulevard
- EC&M: Burns & McDonnell Grows Arizona Footprint with New Office in Pima County
- Burns & McDonnell Growth Reflected on ENR Top 500 Rankings
- Burns & McDonnell Moves up to No. 9 on Widely-Watched ENR Top 500 Design Firms Ranking
- Burns & McDonnell Inc. Acquires AZCO INC.
- Construction Today: Victory of the Drones
- EM magazine: Mercury Control Challenge for Industrial Boiler MACT Affected Facilities