- Antioch Road Bridge over Indian Creek
As part of the design team for the interchange design at I-435 and Antioch Road, Burns & McDonnell was responsible for the hydraulic analysis and design of all of the structure crossings of Indian Creek. The widening of Antioch Road in the vicinity of the interchange extended north, requiring the reconstruction of the bridge. The project was designed jointly for the Kansas Department of Transportation and the City of Overland Park as part of the System Enhancement project for the new interchange.
The four-span, 210-foot haunched concrete slab bridge has a variable width-roadway to accommodate the widening transition at the interchange approach. Sidewalks are included on each side of the bridge, which is heavily used by an active pedestrian community. Aesthetic enhancements include concrete form liners on the traffic barriers and the use of ornamental pedestrian railings.
The superstructure is supported on column bent piers with web walls. Columns are supported on drilled shafts. Integral abutments supported on steel H-piles are constructed on each end. The structure was designed under AASHTO Load Rating Factor Design Specifications.
- EPC Is Accelerating Its Impact on the Transportation Industry
- California Explores the Essential Elements of Climate-Safe Infrastructure
- Operating Without Interruption
- Speeding Toward a Future With Self-Driving Cars
- Raising Bridges With an Efficient EPC Approach
- The Evolution of the Daniel Boone Bridge
- Sustaining Opportunity, Growing Success
- Voices of Experience
- SOS: Answering the Call When Disaster Strikes
- Wacker Drive Reconstruction Wins Top National Honors
- Kansas City Business Journal: Burns & McDonnell names new global transportation head
- Burns & McDonnell Names New Transportation Leader
- Two Burns & McDonnell Projects Recognized for Engineering Excellence by Missouri Chapter of the American Council of Engineering Companies
- Burns & McDonnell Wins Engineering Excellence Award for Turnkey Bridge-Raising Project on Kansas Turnpike
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute 2018 Design Awards: Transportation - Best Main Span Bridge
- A Successful Approach: Union Station Westward Expansion Wins ACEC Award
- Design-Build Transportation Work Drives Omaha Growth for Burns & McDonnell
- Kansas City Star: Big trucks won't get stuck under these Kansas Turnpike bridges
- Lifting Bridges Is Making Room for More Freight on the Kansas Turnpike
- The Kansas City Star: Burns & McDonnell hired for Kansas Turnpike bridge project