- Auwahi Wind Project
Burns & McDonnell is providing owner's engineer services for the Auwahi Wind Project being constructed on the wind-rich Ulupalakua Ranch on the southeast coast of Maui, Hawaii. Construction began in early 2012 and is expected to be completed before the end of the year.
The facility includes eight Siemens SWT-3.0-101 direct-drive wind turbine generators with a total nameplate capacity of 24 MW. It also features a containerized battery storage system capable of storing up to 11 MW of power generated by the turbines and designed to manage fluctuations in power delivered to the Hawaiian grid.
- Detailed engineering and construction plan reviews
- Engineering support of battery control logic development
- Negotiation support on turbine supply, operations and maintenance, and balance-of-plant agreements
- Development of technical-based contract exhibits
- Power curve testing RFP preparation and evaluation
- Power curve test plan implementation
- Wind resource evaluations
Sempra U.S. Gas & Power is an independent power producer based in San Diego. Burns & McDonnell provided professional engineering services in the comprehensive project development and construction. The facility represented the first renewable energy project developed and constructed by Sempra U.S. Gas & Power outside of the contiguous United States.
Burns & McDonnell's services included wind resource evaluations; management of the power performance test, including RFP development and evaluation and support of test plan implementation; contractual negotiation support for the turbine supply, balance of plant, and service and maintenance agreements; development of technical-based exhibits for the main project agreements; detailed engineering reviews of the project's civil, electrical and structural designs; detailed reviews of the project's construction and environmental plans; and engineering support of the control logic development for the energy storage system.
- 24 MW of renewable wind capacity
- Electricity generation for up to 10,000 typical Maui homes
- 8 direct-drive wind turbines featuring permanent magnet generators
- Up to 11 MW of backup battery storage