- Battlespace Environment Laboratory - Kirtland AFB
Burns & McDonnell provided integrated design-build services for this new LEED Silver-certified facility to relocate the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Space Vehicles Battlespace Environment Laboratory (BEL) from Hanscom AFB and consolidate all AFRL Space Vehicles activities at Kirtland AFB. The 145,000-square-foot facility contains laboratory and administration space for research, analysis, engineering, engineering support and management. The laboratory and engineering spaces support science and technology requirements for conducting research in high-vacuum environments, performing environmental calibration, conducting chemistry and mass spectrometry analysis, performing computer modeling, processing space data, simulating space operations and performing remote sensing and quantum computing. We also provided consulting on the application of the Department of Defense Minimum Antiterrorism Standards to the project, specifically regarding limitations on landscaping and requirements for exterior glazing systems.
This project was recognized with multiple awards, including the 2014 Design-Build Institute of America National Award of Merit, Industrial/Process/Research Facilities; 2013 Design-Build Institute of America Mid-America Region Award of Merit, Institutional Projects over $10 million; Award of Merit for Concept Design, 2010 AFMC Design Awards Program; and Honor Award for Concept Design, 2009 Air Force Materiel Command Design Awards Program.
- Carriage Pavilion Bridge at Union Station
- Northwest Transmission Line
- Airfield Pavement Repair - Wright-Patterson AFB
- Ben Franklin Readiness Center - Arden Hills Army Training Site
- DISA Global Operations Command Facility - Scott AFB
- F-35 Academic Training Center - Luke AFB
- KC-46A Area Development Plans
- National Logistics & Reconditioning Center
- 9450 Ward Parkway Expansion
- Transmission System Modernization