- Bottom Ash System Modifications
Our team provided professional engineering services including evaluation of existing bottom ash settling basins for adequate settling of bottom ash solids as well as structural capacity to meet the requirements of the Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) Rule. The existing bottom ash settling basins were inadequately sized to limit solids carry-over. Subsequently, an abandoned two-cell coal pile settling basin was repurposed to capture bottom ash solids. Modifications to the bottom ash water system included structural upgrades to the repurposed basin, a jack-and-bore pipe beneath a rail line, overland and below grade HDPE piping, and multiple process modifications to the bottom ash water system. A bottom ash stackout pad, perimeter walls, and stormwater drain system were designed to containerize bottom ash and waste ash solids for temporary storage.
- Detailed design
- Construction support
We were contacted in June 2015 to provide recommended bottom ash system modifications and additions to achieve compliance with the CCR rule before the October 2015 compliance deadline. We quickly mobilized a team knowledgeable in CCR rule requirements and provided viable compliance options. Once the owner selected its preferred compliance option, we performed detailed design, supported a bid process, and worked with the owner and contractors to complete all required work before the compliance deadline.
- Evaluation of existing bottom ash settling basins for adequate settling of bottom ash solids
- Evaluation of structural capacity of an abandoned two-cell coal pile settling basins and design of subsequent reinforcing
- Modified the bottom ash system to include the repurposed concrete settling basin and elimination of bottom ash solids settling within the earth embankment bottom ash cooling basin
- Design and construction support of a 43,000-square-foot bottom ash stackout pad
- Developed CCR compliant bottom ash settling basin cleanout procedures and cost estimate