- Bottom & Waste Ash Stackout Pad
Our team provided professional engineering services including evaluation of existing bottom ash settling basins for adequate settling of bottom ash solids as well as structural capacity to meet the requirements of the Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) Rule. A bottom ash stackout pad, perimeter walls and stormwater drain system were designed to containerize bottom ash and waste ash solids for temporary storage at the plant site. Water from bottom ash dewatering and stormwater that lands on the stackout pad are routed to one of the bottom ash settling basins to keep bottom ash contact water within the bottom ash water system.
- Detailed design
- Construction support
We were contacted in June 2015 to provide recommended bottom ash system modifications and additions to achieve compliance with the CCR rule before the October 2015 compliance date. We quickly mobilized an experienced and informed team and provided viable compliance options. Once the owner selected a preferred compliance option, we performed detailed design, supported a bid process, and worked with the owner and contractor to complete all required work prior to the compliance deadline.
- Evaluation of existing bottom ash settling basins for adequate settling of bottom ash solids
- Evaluation of structural capacity of three, two-cell settling basins to meet the free-standing requirements of the CCR rule
- Design and construction support of a 27,000-square-foot bottom ash stackout pad designed to accommodate bottom ash trucks, scrapers and loaders
- Developed recommended bottom ash settling basin cleanout procedures and estimated costs that would be CCR rule-compliant; the previous method was no longer acceptable