- Capital Improvements Management Office
At the request of the mayor and city manager, Burns & McDonnell helped lead an effort to reduce a backlog of capital projects, which had languished for years within the city’s own systems. What started as an initiative to clear 150 backlogged projects quickly became a mechanism to re-engineer the city’s capital delivery processes using new project delivery processes and team based management techniques.
Project managers were retrained, new management structures were established, project controls were implemented, communications were focused, and, most importantly, expectations were established and monitored for success through the creation of the Capital Improvements Management Office (CIMO).
The result is a program that has become a model in city governments, as demonstrated by CIMO receiving the 2006 Award of Excellence in Public/Private Partnerships by the United States Conference of Mayors. CIMO now oversees hundreds of capital improvement projects totaling about $1.2 billion in infrastructure improvements and development in Kansas City. A critical component in the success of the program was the inclusion of a comprehensive communications plan.
- Facilitating media relations, crisis communications and citizen requests
- Pursuing local and national opportunities to highlight initiatives and program successes
- Maintaining, developing and implementing intranet, CIMO Central and website
- Managing public relations for portfolio of projects including transportation, water and public safety
- Creating informational material including reports, newsletters, press releases, fact sheets, letters and marketing material
- Organizing and managing events ranging from groundbreakings or media tours to citywide forums
- Establishing bimonthly downtown street closure updates sent via e-mail to notify local businesses and residents of construction activities
- Developing structure, tools and procedures for program and project communications, including assessment methods and operational manual
- Implementing community outreach efforts including branding strategies, interviews with key stakeholders, presentations to community and business organizations