- Capital Improvements Program Management
Burns & McDonnell provided program management services to the Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati (MSD) for the city's $400 million Capital Improvement Plan, a five-year program for capital improvements to the sewer systems and treatment plants. The capital improvement program required approximately 40 separate design and construction projects to be carried out annually over the project period. As program manager, Burns & McDonnell was responsible for program assistance including planning, reporting and advising the MSD in contract and program administration throughout the design of the rehabilitation of the MSD's existing treatment facilities and major improvements and extensions of the collection systems.
Complex funding issues were incorporated into the revised business practices and scheduling tool. Acting essentially as an extension of the MSD's management staff, Burns & McDonnell was responsible for overall program change control, recommending courses of action by the MSD with regard to business practices, project and program scheduling, estimating, site management, bidding services, contract administration, and construction management.
During the analysis phase and the first implementation phase of the program management system, Burns & McDonnell has worked with the MSD staff, design consultants and other public entities within the greater Cincinnati area. The goal was to provide efficient and timely execution of the work consistent with the county's budget, schedule, quality and performance expectations, and to coordinate all design projects to provide consistent procedures and metrics across all projects.
- Program management
- Cost control
- Resource management
- Business process analysis
- Process change management
Among the specific services provided to the Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati by Burns & McDonnell:
- Analysis of the current Capital Improvement Plan and the issues surrounding performance.
- Analysis of the current professional engineering services acquisition and control processes, including recommendations for business process changes.
- Recommendation to the MSD for the selection and implementation of an Enterprise Program Management software application.
- Development of a Project Execution Manual that integrated business processes, specific procedures and the software tools.
- Recommendations for integrated database functionality among the project management software, Cincinnati Area Geospatial Information System, Cincinnati Human Resources Information System (CHRIS) and Cincinnati Financial System (CFS).
- Periodic review of the designs, deliverables and bidding documents being prepared by the MSD staff and design consultants and making recommendations for actions by the MSD.
- Confirmation that the progress of the MSD staff and design consultants was in accordance with the approved program schedule.
- Monitoring consultants' compliance with the terms and conditions of the respective design agreements and reporting findings to the MSD.
- Monitoring pay applications submitted by consultants and contractors.
- Maintenance of the Enterprise Program Management System (EPMS), including support of Primavera Enterprise.
- Establishment of standards for design documents to be incorporated into the design contracts.
- Preparation of a standardized Professional Services Agreement to be used by the city in obtaining engineering services.
- Facilitation of environmental permit applications, filing by the MSD staff, and integration of the process into the overall schedule for the design and construction of the projects.
- Facilitation of right-of-way and property easements by the MSD staff, and integration of the process into the overall schedule for the design and construction of the projects.
- Establish integrated EPMS timesheet interface capability between Primavera Timesheets and CHRIS.
- Establish integrated financial data interface between Primavera Enterprise and both CHRIS and CFS.
- Design, establishment and maintenance of a program communications tools related to the project management system for the CIP.