- Cholla Station
Burns & McDonnell, in a joint venture called Cholla Environmental Partners (CEP) that included Zachry Construction Co., was the engineer-procure-construct (EPC) contractor for this turnkey emission control project. It included complete engineering, procurement, construction, startup and commissioning.
- Preliminary engineering
- Construction management
- Detailed engineering
The Cholla project included the replacement of a hot-side electrostatic precipitator (ESP) with a low-pressure, high-volume fabric filter (FF) and an ash handling system replacement compatible with the FF conversion. This project involved the retrofit of the existing Unit 4 ESP (abandoned as part of the Unit 4 air quality control system project) into the new Unit 3 FF. The work included all necessary design, demolition, procurement, construction, erection, controls, and auxiliary support equipment for a complete multi-compartment FF system and ash handling.
In addition, CEP retrofited a new wet lime flue gas desulfurization (FGD) system. The wet FGD is capable of 94 percent sulfur dioxide (SO2) removal and 99 percent availability. The wet FGD system retrofit also included lime storage and delivery systems, bleed slurry removal systems, new induced draft (ID) fans and ductwork. In addition, the existing stack is modified for full wet stack operation.
Burns & McDonnell performed mechanical, electrical, structural and foundation design as well as instrumentation and controls. The controls engineering consisted of integrating a new distributed control system (DCS) for the FGD with the existing plant DCS.
This project required significant coordination and effort among the EPC joint venture partners and with the owner because substantial ductwork tie-ins were completed during scheduled outages. This project was a fast-paced, highly coordinated effort that required teamwork, persistence and a willingness to work together to ultimately make Arizonal Public Service successful and achieve a high level of environmental stewardship and provide value to the customers it serves.
- Save Time and Money With Front-End Project Development
- Bolster Resources and Achieve Goals Through EPC Project Delivery
- Key Factors for Successful Solar Construction
- Constructing a Cleaner Energy Future
- Utilizing Prefabrication to Increase EPC Project Efficiencies
- Coming Soon: Chinook Power Station in Saskatchewan Projects Off-Site Fabrication for On-Site Assembly
- Annual Energy Outlook 2013 Early Release Insights
- Power Magazine Honors KCP&L's Iatan 2 as Plant of the Year
- Tim Carey Selected to Lead Growing Energy Group in Chicago for Burns & McDonnell
- Power Engineering: Burns & McDonnell oversees completion of Michigan gas-fired quick response plants
- Burns & McDonnell Awarded EPC Contract to Deliver New Process Steam Facility for U.S. Army Ammunitions Plant in Tennessee
- Power Engineering: Turning Turnover Packages into Tailor-Made Assets on Plant Construction
- EE Online: Chinook Power Station Reaches Important Milestones
- Entergy New Orleans Provides Burns & McDonnell Notice to Proceed as EPC Contractor for New Orleans Power Station
- The Post-Crescent: Appleton's AZCO Acquired by Kansas City Firm
- Power Engineering: Burns & McDonnell Acquires AZCO
- Riverton Power Station Recognized for Zero Injury Safety Record
- Warren County Power Station named Project of the Year at Power Generation Week 2015