- Combustion Turbine SCGT Project
Burns & McDonnell provided professional services to assist Hoosier in development of an integrated resource plan, including assistance an evaluation of power purchase and self-build generation for peaking capacity. To support this effort, Burns & McDonnell provided development assistance to evaluate potential generation sites, to evaluate simple cycle generation technologies, and to define the project scope for installation of simple cycle capacity in the Hoosier system area in Indiana. Further, Burns & McDonnell provided technical support for permitting of the project.
- Assistance in developing an integrated resource plan
- Siting evaluations
- Project development assistance
- Conceptual engineering
- Permitting assistance
- Planning, estimating and scheduling
- Project management
- Coordination of infrastructure requirements
- Procurement assistance for major equipment
Hoosier, based in Bloomington, Ind., is a growing Rural Electric Cooperative serving customers in southern Indiana. Hoosier provides electric services to more than 600,000 customers with a service area of more than 15,000 square miles. Burns & McDonnell was retained to assistance to Hoosier in development of a integrated resource plan and to provide siting assistance, development assistance and permitting technical support for a proposed simple cycle generating facility in their system.
Development activities provided by Burns & McDonnell included:
- Evaluation of several potential project sites considering construction costs, infrastructure costs, transmission capability, permittability, environmental impacts and other factors.
- Conceptual design and scope definition for multiple generating options including development of performance estimates, capital cost estimates, operating and maintenance cost estimates, and a conceptual schedule. Equipment evaluated included GE 7EA, GE 7FA, GE LM6000, Siemens Westinghouse and 501D5A units in various configurations.
- Evaluation of various plant options, including: wet vs. dry auxiliary cooling, dual fuel capability, natural gas compression, and permanent vs. rental demineralizers.
- Coordination with infrastructure interfaces including water supply, waste discharge, natural gas supply and transmission interconnection.
- Gas turbine procurement assistance including evaluation of scope and proposals (from OEMs and from the secondary market).
Burns & McDonnell's scope also included technical support for permitting of the facility, development of an environmental assessment for the project to support Rural Utilities Service (RUS) financing, and support for application of approval from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, including direct expert testimony for the application.
The project has been approved and is being executed. Burns & McDonnell is serving as the owner’s engineer on the project and is assisting Hoosier in developing and negotiating an engineer-procure-construct (EPC) contract. Burns & McDonnell will also be the owner’s engineer throughout the execution of the project, including design reviews and construction oversight.
- 6 x LM6000 Sprint simple cycle gas turbine (SCGT)
- Secondary market gas turbines