- CPV Valley Energy Center
The Valley Energy Center is a 680-MW combined cycle generation facility in Wawayanda, New York, providing additional capacity and reliability to the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO). Competitive Power Ventures, an independent power producer, contracted the joint venture of Burns & McDonnell, Skanska and ECCO III to perform engineer-procure-construct (EPC) services on a lump sum turnkey basis.
The facility includes two Siemens SGT6-5000F combustion turbine generators (CTGs), two CMI three-pressure, supplementary fired, heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) with kettle boiler type rotor air coolers, one Siemens SST5000-KN side exhaust condensing steam turbine generator (STG), a 36-cell air-cooled condenser (ACC) and associated balance-of-plant (BOP) materials and equipment. The STG, CTGs and HRSGs are housed in a common powerhouse building.
Each gas turbine will be dual-fuel, capable firing pipeline quality natural gas and ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) as a backup fuel. The project is designed for cycling load operation. Each CTG is designed to be capable of operating at full load in a pseudo simple-cycle mode, where steam from the corresponding HRSG bypasses the steam turbine and is dumped to the condenser.
Makeup water for the plant is supplied via the City of Middletown Sewage Treatment Plant, providing reclaim quality water to the facility reducing the overall water resource impact to the local community. Wastewater and sanitary drains from the facility — including process water, closed cycle cooling water, boiler blowdown and domestic wastes — are discharged back to the city sewage plant for treatment and reuse.
Other plant features include:
- Gas-fired auxiliary boiler for plant startup and gland seal steam supply system
- 345-kV substation
- Plantwide distributed control system (DCS) to monitor and control BOP systems
- Dry low-NOx (DLN) combustors and water injection for fuel oil firing operation
- Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) and carbon monoxide (CO) catalyst included in each HRSG
- Startup and commissioning
- Greenfield site
- Dual-fuel: Natural gas and ULSD
- 2 Siemens SGT6-5000F gas turbines with DLN combustors
- 2 CMI triple-pressure supplementary-fired HRSGs
- 1 Siemens SST5000-KN condensing steam turbine
- 36-cell ACC
- 1 million-gallon fuel oil storage tank
- 1 million-gallon reclaimed water storage tank
- Off-site reclaim water supply line
- 345-kV on-site substation
- Carriage Pavilion Bridge at Union Station
- Northwest Transmission Line
- Battlespace Environment Laboratory - Kirtland AFB
- 9450 Ward Parkway Expansion
- Transmission System Modernization
- Hangar Expansion Program
- Spreads Upgrade
- 85-MW Cogeneration Facility
- Denton Energy Center
- Iatan Generation Station Unit 2