- Daniel K. Inouye Fighter Squadron Operations & Aircraft Maintenance Facility - Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
This is the first LEED Platinum-certified project for the Air National Guard, projecting a net energy savings of 75 percent and water consumption reduction of 47 percent. The project included three main components: a 32,800-square-foot aircraft maintenance hangar; a 19,000-square-foot, two-story administrative area; and a 25,600-square-foot, single-story flightline maintenance shop. The hangar houses six F-22 aircraft within the column-free 180-foot long-span with aircraft parked in an efficient tail-to-tail configuration. Burns & McDonnell analyzed multiple hangar concepts and determined that the most efficient solution for the congested site was a pull-through column-free configuration with vertical lifting fabric doors. This minimized the area of the project and solved functional issues by eliminating the need to move 500-pound tool carts over the door rails of traditional bottom-rolling doors. An innovative approach to aircraft configuration allows two squadrons to function in the same tail space one usually occupies.
The fire protection system for the maintenance bays and coatings bays complies with the newest guidance issued under ETL 01-2 and includes a low-level high-expansion foam system and an overhead wet-pipe sprinkler system. Adjacent shops and office areas are protected by a wet-pipe sprinkler system. The building’s orientation maximizes passive solar opportunities through south-face glazing with deep overhangs; open lanais allow for natural ventilation. Photovoltaic arrays on the roof and parking canopy offset electrical costs, and a solar heating system offsets hot water requirements, while low-flow plumbing fixtures reduce water use. Extending the sustainable commitment, 94 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
- Atlanta Readiness Center
- Ben Franklin Readiness Center - Arden Hills Army Training Site
- California Military Department Consolidated Headquarters Complex
- Combined Support Maintenance Shop
- DISA Global Operations Command Facility - Scott AFB
- National Logistics & Reconditioning Center
- Fire Protection Design Reviews & Acceptance Testing
- Wide-Body Hangar - Newark
- F-35 Beddown - Luke AFB
- LCDR Otis Vincent Tolbert Joint Intelligence Operations Center