- Edgerton Design-Build WWTP
The City of Edgerton is in the southwestern corner of Johnson County, Kansas. The city entered into an agreement with Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad to provide sanitary sewer service for its Intermodal Facility and Logistics Park, located between Edgerton and the City of Gardner. In order for the city to provide service to the site in a timely fashion, it required rapid design and construction.
Our team, along with CAS LLC, provided design-build services for a new wastewater treatment plant, nearly 2 miles of combined gravity sewer and force main, and two pumping stations. The facilities developed serve the railroad facility and provide development opportunities for a growth corridor near interstate I-35, providing an opportunity that otherwise would not have been possible.
The new facilities produce an effluent with very low levels of nitrogen and phosphorus that ultimately feeds Hillsdale Lake, a recreational water body. The plant is designed for expansion so it can continue to meet the needs of the railroad facility and the new development corridor.
A 14-month schedule for design and construction of the plant and collection system was made possible by rapid design techniques and a series of design meetings with the client for selection of equipment and layout while tightly controlling project costs.
- Concept design
- Project development
- Economic analysis
- Detailed design
- Design-build execution
- Public education
- Property acquisition
- Environmental and cultural resources surveys and mitigation
- New 500,000 gpd treatment plant with tertiary treatment
- Designed to meet enhanced biological removal (ENR) water quality goals
- Property acquisition for the treatment plant and collection system
- Site surveys for endangered species, wetland, and cultural resources
- Interaction with regulatory agencies
- Full turnkey services
- Economic analysis for impact on rate payers
- Value engineering