- Education City Student Housing Complex
Burns & McDonnell is providing architectural and engineering design services for two energy-independent, 350,000-square-foot, six-building student housing complexes for the Qatar Foundation at Education City in Doha, Qatar. One campus will house female students and the other, male students. Each campus will consist of two 150-bed residence halls, three 100-bed apartment buildings and a residential community center. Once completed, this will be the first student housing complex in the world to achieve LEED Platinum certification.
The student housing complex design incorporates local culture and modern technology to create a unique, world-class facility for the students of Education City. A traditional Islamic village, consisting of five neighborhoods joined together by a village street leading to a central plaza, inspired the architectural design.
Cutting-edge technology provides an enhanced learning experience for students. Smart-room technology saves energy while allowing students to set custom temperature, lighting and MP3 settings. A wall-mounted LCD panel will be installed in each room, giving students the capability to work anywhere in the room from a wireless keyboard and mouse. Full-building security will be controlled by remote Internet access and required card readers equipped with 4-gigabyte chips for access into each building within the facility.
Through innovative construction methodology, Burns & McDonnell will be able to meet the project's aggressive schedule.
- Designed to achieve LEED Platinum certification
- On-site energy generation from renewable sources, including wind turbines and photovoltaic cells
- Biomass wall for gray water filtration will recycle and redistribute water
- Biometric security systems protect access
- Network convergence
- White roof reflects sunlight
- Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
- Packaged Hybrid CHP Plant
- Corporate Environmental Responsibility Report & Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Voluntary Reporting of Greenhouse Gases
- Hospital Pharmacy Renovation
- Independence Utilities Center
- Joint Dining Facility
- Thornton Wes Brown Water Treatment Plant Expansion
- LCDR Otis Vincent Tolbert Joint Intelligence Operations Center
- Solar Site Feasibility Study