- Facilities Shop Complex
When the Facility Maintenance Department outgrew its facility at Kansas City International Airport, the Kansas City Aviation Department sought to develop a new 3.5-acre site for operations required to maintain all airport facilities. New buildings, parking areas, vehicle access, circulation, cargo unloading space and maintenance areas were included.
The new complex consolidates multiple buildings from various locations to a single location with three structures. The 15,470-square-foot maintenance shop has an administrative wing with offices, a break room, conference rooms, employee spaces, and mechanical, electrical and communications rooms. It also a high bay shop that houses carpentry, equipment repair, metal work, painting, welding, tool storage and more. The other structures are a 4,000-square-foot covered salt storage area and a 3,000-square-foot covered parking structure.
Our team provided services through multiple project phases, including studies, design-construction document-bid, building information model (BIM) development, and construction administration.
The project was registered with the Green Building Certification Institution (GBCI) using the LEED-NC 2009 rating system. Primary elements for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) consideration included:
- Site impact minimization through use of a previously developed site
- Water conservation through use of native and drought-tolerant landscape design and low-flow plumbing fixtures
- Energy conservation measures incorporated in building envelope, mechanical systems, lighting fixtures and controls
- Recycling of materials during construction and facility operation
- Indoor air quality measures
The project's BIM component includes implementation of Computerized Maintenance and Management Software (CMMS) with an Enterprise Asset Management System (EAMS) for managing and maintaining airport facilities and assets.
- Site evaluation
- Value engineering
- Design and construction documents
- Construction administration
- BIM asset management software development and implementation
- LEED Gold certification