The project required modifications to an existing facility to provide a new receipt, storage and blending system of refined vegetable oils to support formulation improvements at an existing margarine production facility.
Burns & McDonnell performed the process design of the new raw material receiving and storage system. A partnered technology provider provided the mixing process design and equipment, which Burns & McDonnell integrated into the design. All systems were designed to meet client hygienic standards. The project also included modifications to existing CIP systems.
Burns & McDonnell was responsible for all existing process modifications to support the technology provider’s envelope and to fully integrate provided equipment. Burns & McDonnell was responsible for all electrical and instrumentation; the technology provider provided controls automation. Facility modifications were required to facilitate the receipt, storage and handling of raw materials. All building modifications were designed in accordance with current good manufacturing processes (cGMPs).
- Scope development
- Preliminary design
- Cost estimating
- Detailed design
- Pre-mix skid modularization
- Vertically segregated storage tanks
- Storage, handling and blending of RBD oils, hard stocks and emulsifiers
- Value engineering to reduce project cost by 30 percent
- Integration of European third party technology supplied equipment
- Process and CIP system designed to client hygienic standards