- Landfill Expansion Permitting, Design & Construction Services
Burns & McDonnell is providing ongoing solid waste consulting, permitting and construction phase services to McKenzie County, North Dakota. Current and planned projects include:
Revisions to Phase 6 Design
This initiative doubled the size of the landfill cell to allow for four to five years of disposal capacity with an estimated 10 percent waste growth rate. It included design enhancements throughout the project to aid in operations. The redesign of Phase 6 was completed within one month of the project bid, keeping the construction timeline on track, avoiding the need to rebid.
Revisions to Previous NDDH Solid Waste Permit Modification Application Documents
The existing solid waste permit modification application on file with the North Dakota Department of Health (NDDH) was revised to address deficiencies identified by NDDH. Modifications to the permit documents included revisions to the proposed permitted disposal footprint and changes to landfill base grade elevations in order to comply with the NDDH General Location Standards. Burns & McDonnell addressed NDDH concerns and incorporated design enhancements in spring 2014 to allow Phase 6 cell construction activities to proceed in the summer.
Phase 6 Cell Construction Administration
Burns & McDonnell services include submittal review, construction quality assurance (CQA) and regular project coordination activities.
Facility Design Package
Burns & McDonnell providing a facility design package for an enhanced entrance for the landfill. The goal is to provide a safe and efficient inbound and outbound traffic flow pattern needed to accommodate the increase in tonnage received. Key design features:
- A second scale for outbound traffic, including communications and electric controls for the new scale.
- Bypass traffic lane to minimize traffic buildup beyond the facility boundary.
- A new compactor access route to the shop to prevent the compactor from damaging the main entrance road.
- Surfacing of an "employee only" route to the west of the scalehouse.
- Permit modification
- Construction quality assurance
- Regulatory negotiations
- Facility design