- Microbiology/Sterility Test Laboratory
APP Pharmaceuticals needed a new microbiology lab to support aseptic product manufacturing. Design development included the construction of clean rooms and employed isolation technology for sterility testing of product and media samples. Burns & McDonnell provided mechanical design, construction support and startup assistance for this project.
- Mechanical engineering
- Process equipment
- Construction support
- Startup assistance
Once Burns & McDonnell completed component preparation modifications at the facility, APP engaged Burns & McDonnell to provide engineering, construction and startup assistance to renovate an abandoned 30-year-old chemistry laboratory located on the second floor above the current production and laboratory spaces.
The final design for this lab included:
- Pass-through glassware washer
- Pass-through autoclave
- Cold room
- Walk-in incubator
- Class 10,000 sterility test suite with isolators
- Type IIB2 biosafety cabinets
- Water for injection loop, clean steam expansion and utility piping
- HVAC and exhaust systems
The project team performed extensive verification of existing utilities and building conditions, which included reusing a roof-mounted air handling unit, replacing ductwork, adding high efficiency particulate air filters and installing a building management system.
- Completed project safely and on time
- Performed construction without disrupting plant operations
- Realized substantial cost savings by reusing existing equipment
- Performed intricate mechanical design due to spatial constraints