- Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul Master Plan Study
Our team completed a master plan study of the aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) campus. The study was driven by the decision to bring narrow-body aircraft heavy maintenance shops from Hobby airport to eliminate split operations with Houston George Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Multiple sites were evaluated for parts of the new development. A site was chosen based on scoring against a set of essential criteria.
Building heights are restricted by air traffic control tower (ATCT) sightlines to the taxiway at the edge of the site, and the design team placed facilities to maintain those sightlines. Planning work included an inventory of the Hobby shops and stores spaces, other stores locations around IAH, and interviews with shop managers to define the new replacement spaces at IAH. With the inventory defined, the design team sized and studied placements for new buildings on the site, and accommodation/remodeling required in the existing buildings to house the relocated operations. Careful attention was given to maintaining the ACTC sightlines and to maximizing the aircraft ramp area.
Extensive aircraft ramp expansion was planned with aircraft utilities, an aircraft hydrant fueling position, and runup areas, each with protective blast fence.
- Master planning
- Site layout
- Preliminary building design
- Construction cost estimating
The study included master planning of these elements on the chosen site:
- New wide-body aircraft line maintenance hangars
- Relocated engine buildup unit (EBU)
- Conversion of an existing hangar to narrow-body aircraft heavy maintenance
- Conversion of existing aircraft parts stores to shops
- New aircraft stores warehouse with automation
- New bulk storage warehouse
- New engineering office building
- New aircraft taxiway and apron with aircraft utilities and an aircraft fueling position
- New employee parking
- Aviation Pros: 2018 Airport Business Top 40 Under 40
- ACEC's Engineering Inc.: Aviation Infrastructure Market Booming
- Burns & McDonnell Strengthens and Expands Aviation & Federal Team in Southern California
- Burns & McDonnell Aviation VP Joins ACI World Business Partners Advisory Board
- Burns & McDonnell Strengthens Growing Aviation Team in Dallas-Fort Worth
- Burns & McDonnell Strengthens Aviation Capabilities with Experienced Hires