- Petrochemical & Refining Complex Water & Wastewater Treatment
Aging infrastructure and expanding production capacity initiated an investment in water and wastewater treatment utilities at an integrated petrochemical and refining facility. The facility produces ethylene, propylene, polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, LLDP), fuels and fractionated gas products. Our team completed front-end planning (FEP) services through FEP-3, which included the definition of improvements in sufficient detail to support a piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID) review, process hazards analysis (PHA), -15 percent to +25 percent cost estimate, and Level 2 schedule.
Improvements were defined for the existing 7,500-gpm raw water and 10-MGD wastewater treatment plants. Construction sequencing was an important consideration as the water and wastewater utilities had to remain operational during improvements.
Front-end planning documents gave the owner dependable information necessary to make business decisions related to increased production of plastic resin and natural gas liquids (NGL) products. The improvements are being built out under a guaranteed maximum price (GMP) contract, and the project is ongoing.
- Front-end planning
- Detailed design
- Procurement support
- 30,000-scfm regenerative thermal oxidizer (RTO) with a new RTO and a new thermal oxidizer (TO) back-up
- Replacement of corrugated plate interceptors (CPIs) with three 800-gpm API oil/water separators
- Replacement of induced gas flotation (IGF) units with a 4,000-gpm dissolved gas flotation (DGF) unit
- Wastewater heat exchanger
- Biotreater improvements, such as a moving bed biofilm reactor (MBBR)
- Sodium hypochlorite wastewater disinfection process
- Lime slurry feed system
- Raw water treater replacement equipment including: pressure filters, tanks and pumps.
- Replacement of the chlorine gas cylinders with sodium hypochlorite and sulfuric acid
- Raw water pump station at a canal
- Sludge line to the lagoon