Burns & McDonnell was a subcontractor to General Electric for the detailed engineering services for this coal-fired project in China. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) provided the primary financing for the plant. The ADB is an international multi-lateral bank responsible for financing infrastructure projects in developing countries located in the Asia region. The ADB's standard methodology for implementing projects is to split the project design into several design/ procurement packages referred to as EP islands. In China, Chinese contractors under contracts separate from the EP islands perform the construction of the island packages. The plant instrumentation and control (I&C) system was provided by a separate I&C island EP package.
The GE/Burns & McDonnell contract was for the turbine EP island including the detailed design and procurement of all equipment, materials, building, structures, electrical facilities, civil and other balance of plant (BOP) facilities within the turbine island.
Under the agreement between GE and Burns & McDonnell, GE provided the steam turbine generator and associated equipment. In addition, GE was responsible for the procurement of other BOP equipment using technical specifications developed by Burns & McDonnell. Burns & McDonnell was required to retain the services of a Chinese engineering firm (Design Institute) to perform a portion of the project design and local liaison with the project owner. The Chinese firm performed a portion of the electrical, civil and architectural design work, under the supervision of the Burns & McDonnell project team.
The Burns & McDonnell scope included the following:
- Detailed design of all mechanical and electrical systems, piping, electrical work, structures, foundations and buildings
- Identify on drawings and prepare a list of all field-mounted instruments; prepare all field-mounted instrument installation details; provide interface details to the I&C island EP contractor
- Attend meetings and exchange information with other EP island contractors regarding interfaces for piping, instrumentation, structures, buildings, electrical systems, etc.
- Prepare an integrated engineering and procurement schedule for use by GE and Burns & McDonnell
- Prepare technical specifications for use by GE in purchasing balance of plant systems; evaluate bids received by GE and make recommendations; review all shop drawings for consistency with the purchase order and the plant design
- Prepare monthly progress reports
- Provide project management services for all engineering activities including the Chinese based engineering firm subcontractor to Burns & McDonnell
- Conduct design review meetings with the owner