- Regional Sanitary Landfill
The Crow Wing County Solid Waste Management Complex is located on 564 acres owned by the county approximately 6 miles northeast of Brainerd, Minn. The site has four cells, consisting of 22.5-acres. Each year the facility receives an estimated 40,000 tons of MSW, 10,000 cubic yards of demolition debris, and 5,000 cubic yards of yard waste. Burns & McDonnell has provided a range of services to the facility.
General Engineering Services, 2013-Present
Burns & McDonnell provides comprehensive solid waste engineering services including:
- Permit negotiation for both the lined municipal solid waste (MSW) and the unlined demolition debris landfills.
- Report supporting the termination of the formal post-closure period and transfer of continued maintenance to the county.
- Annual reporting and monitoring, regulatory communication, financial assurance calculations, survey preparation.
- Airspace calculations and volume analysis.
- Operation assistance
- Landfill filling assistance
- Construction/operational assistance for leachate, landfill gas and recirculation systems
- Comprehensive mapping of existing conditions and planning for future development.
- Carbon credit verification and marketing.
- General engineering services
- Annual reporting
- Regulatory assistance
Project Team Members' Experience
Project team members have provided services to Crow Wing County since 1993. The team members have assisted the county in achieving a more efficient integrated solid waste management system through siting, permitting, design, construction management, operations assistance and regulatory reporting. Services provided by project team members include design and hydrogeologic investigation of the west 40 acres of the landfill to provide an additional 7 million cubic yards of airspace. Design considerations included leachate management and piggyback design over the existing landfill. A hydrogeologic evaluation was completed in the area, and the landfill began excavating in this area for material for daily and intermediate cover soils.
Permitting/Construction of MMSW Landfill, 1988 to Present
- Facility design including liner, final cover and gas management systems
- Liner/cover plans and specifications (Cell 1 liner construction in 1991, Cell 2 in 1995, Cell 1 cover construction in 2996, Cell 3 in 2001, and Cell 4 in 2007)
- Construction documentation and contract management for all built projects
- Permit applications (including hydrogeologic investigation for facility expansion and environmental assessment worksheets)
- Solid waste plan update and CON request
- Maintenance building design and construction management
- Scalehouse and county solid waste department office design and construction management
Permitting/Operation/Construction of Demolition Landfill, 1988 to Present
- Facility and surface water management system design
- Permit application including horizontal expansion plan
- Annual reporting and monitoring, regulatory communication
- Monitoring well installation
- Survey preparation
- Horizontal expansion and closure construction plans and documentation
Operation/Reporting of MMSW Landfill, 1988 to Present
- Leachate treatment and management systems including implementation of land application and recirculation (recirculation-to-energy or RTE)
- LFG utilization feasibility and implementation
- Gas and power purchase agreement negotiation
- Carbon credit verification and marketing, contract negotiation
- Annual reporting and monitoring, regulatory communication, financial assurance calculations, survey preparation
- Soil borrow planning including material processing of construction material
- Comprehensive mapping of existing conditions and planning for future development
- HHW operation and DOT security plans
- Planning and design of customer recycling and problem material drop-off areas and self-haul tipping deck.