- Regional Training Institute/Campus Central Utility Plant
Burns & McDonnell provided LEED-enhanced commissioning services for the Army National Guard at the Camp Minden Regional Training Institute (RTI) Phase 1 project in Minden, La. This project was the first phase of a multiphase camp revitalization project concluding in 2016. The facilities being commissioned under Phase 1 include of a central plant, and education/administration building, a billeting building and dining hall expansion.
The 6,624-square-foot central plant facility consists of three 350-ton centrifugal chillers, one 100-ton reciprocating chiller, three cooling towers, seven boilers, primary/secondary pumps and associated controls. Central plant systems and equipment staging were tested periodically as camp load was brought online. This approach allowed for full-load system testing and design sequence verification.
The 8,510-square-foot education and administration building consists of classroom and administrative spaces. The building uses two air handling units (AHUs) for space ventilation and building load requirements. One AHU utilizes terminal variable air volumes (VAVs) and satisfies occupant ventilation requirements by providing 100 percent outdoor air, controlled based on space carbon dioxide. The second AHU provides space conditioning by using terminal VAVs controlled by local space T-stats. Building loads are satisfied by central plant hot-water and chilled-water loop systems.
The 14,636-square-foot billeting building containes apartment suites for camp personnel. The majority have three or four bedrooms, adjacent individual restrooms, and suite-type common areas. Additional spaces within the building include laundry facilities and mechanical room. Space ventilation and load requirements are satisfied by individual fan-coil units and AHUs. Building loads are satisfied by central plant hot-water and chilled-water loop systems.
The 5,456-square-foot dining hall expansion added two separate AHUs for space HVAC requirements. The AHUs use DX condensers for cooling loads and existing hot-water boiler system for heating loads. Additional controls where added to the facility for system operational requirements.
- LEED prerequisite commissioning
- LEED enhanced commissioning
- Pre-design phase commissioning
- Design phase commissioning
- Construction phase commissioning
- Warranty and operation phase commissioning
- Create commissioning plan
- Design reviews: 35%, 65%, 95%
- Submittal reviews
- Lead commissioning meetings
- Site and photo observation reports
- Pre-functional startup tests
- Functional performance tests
- Create OPR
- Review OPR and BOD
- Create commissioning specifications
- Test and balance verification
- Training plan
- Warranty review
- Commissioning report
- Systems manual with operation and maintenance procedures
- 10-month warranty inspection
- Mechanical systems
- Electrical systems