- Route 83 Widening & Resurfacing
Burns & McDonnell was the resident engineer for the widening and resurfacing of Route 83 from Petite Lake Road in Lake Villa, Ill., to the Wisconsin state line in Antioch, Ill. A wide variety of construction services were required to complete this project, including:
- Earth excavation and embankment
- Combination concrete curb and gutter and sidewalk
- Hot mix asphalt (HMA) and aggregate shoulders
- HMA widening, milling and resurfacing
- Complete reconstruction of intersecting arterial streets
- Open and enclosed drainage improvements
- Traffic signals and interconnection
- Guardrail, pavement marking and landscaping
- Retaining walls
- Utilities coordination
- Coordination with the Illinois and Wisconsin departments of transportation
Route 83 travels through many wetlands with sensitive ecosystems in the Lake Villa area that needed to be kept clean from construction debris and stormwater pollution. The route extended north through busy downtown Antioch, where local businesses required that access be maintained.
The challenge was to keep the residents and business owners informed of all construction stage changes that could affect them. Another challenge was the many conflicting utilities within the right-of-way. The Illinois Department of Transportation acquired more than 160 parcels of land from residents on this project, all of which relocation of existing underground utilities before and during construction.
Successful management of a project of this scope is an example of Burns & McDonnell application of the technical day-to-day skills required to run a smooth construction operation.
- Resident engineering
- Survey control and verification
- Materials quality assurance inspection