- Sandy Creek Energy Facility
We provided equity participation support to Brazos Electric Power Cooperative by completing an independent engineering evaluation of the Sandy Creek Energy Facility in Waco, Texas. Our scope included an evaluation of project design, plant staffing, operations and maintenance projections, key contracts, and environmental permits.
- Site visit
- Contract review
- Projected operations review
- Environmental permitting review
- Risk assessment
- Acquisition support
The plant was being developed by LS Power. The purpose of the independent engineering evaluation was to provide a technical evaluation of the project design and supporting contracts and permits to determine whether the execution plans for the plant would result in the project being constructed and operated in a manner to provide long-term, dependable service.
The facility is a nominal 900-MW coal-fired generating facility with a supercritical pulverized coal boiler, a tandem compound reheat steam turbine, a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system, a dry scrubber and a baghouse. The plant was to be fired with Powder River Basin (PRB) coal. It achieved commercial operations in 2013 and serves as a baseload resource.
Our team reviewed project documents and submitted a report on the findings that was used to support the decision to proceed as an equity partner on the facility.
Our scope included:
- Operations (heat rate, output, reliability, etc.)
- Plant staffing
- Fuel system
- High voltage power system and interconnection
- Water supply and treatment systems
- Cooling tower and circulating water system
- Plant auxiliary power system
- Security and access
- Equipment condition
- Wastewater discharge
- Key contracts and agreements
- 900-MW supercritical pulverized coal unit
- Powder River Basin coal-fired