- Security Operations Center
The Burns & McDonnell’s Security Consulting Services Group developed a security operations center (SOC) for Black Hills Corp. (BHC). This engagement included developing a request for proposal (RFP) for force protection services; laying out the SOC; drafting post orders and procedures for the SOC; review and comment on returned RFPs; a 16-hour classroom training program for security officers assigned to the SOC; and a 40-hour on-the-job training for security officers in the SOC environment. Burns & McDonnell also drafted the corporate security operations manual for BHC.
- Force protection request for proposal (RFP)
- Development of security operations center (SOC)
- SOC post orders and procedures
- Protective force training
- Security operations manual
In July 2008, BHC acquired a four-state utility operation from Great Plains Energy. This operation was formally owned by Aquila Inc. in Kansas City, Mo. Following the acquisition, BHC needed to bring its utility division into compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Corp. Critical Infrastructure Protection (NERC CIP) standards by the end of June 2009. To comply with these federal regulations, BHC needed to develop an SOC to monitor all electronic access, closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, and intrusion detection systems. The Security Consulting Services Group at Burns & McDonnell facilitated a turn-key SOC operation. This engagement was completed within a 90-day window.
- SOC layout
- Functional post orders and procedures
- Classroom training of security officers
- Development of corporate security operations manual