- SFO Boarding Area D Remediation
Previous investigations conducted at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Boarding Area D indicated eight isolated areas of petroleum-contaminated soil and/or groundwater that exceeded the Tier 1 standards for SFO.
The airport raised the aircraft apron and made repairs to the fuel system piping, decommissioning all Boarding Area D monitoring wells in the process. Burns & McDonnell installed seven replacement monitoring wells to monitor the natural attenuation process and address areas that require additional remediation.
Burns & McDonnell conducts semiannual groundwater monitoring at all seven wells and weekly free product recovery at three of the seven wells, using Mobile Enhanced Multi-phase Extraction (MEME).
- Well installation
- Groundwater monitoring
- Product recovery
- Well installations near fuel system piping
- Weekly free product extraction using MEME
- Semiannual groundwater monitoring
- Semiannual reporting to the Regional Water Quality Control Board and the San Mateo County Health System