- Sustainability Consulting, Corporate Reporting and GHG Inventory
Southwest Airlines has published an annual corporate sustainability report (CSR) since its 2007 Environmental Stewardship Report and continues to improve its reporting process and scope each year. With the help of Burns & McDonnell, the airline has taken CSRs a step further with integrated reporting, starting with its 2009 Southwest Airlines One ReportTM, which covers financial, social and environmental performance. The airline's integrated reporting approach was so novel that its 2009 One Report became the focus of a Harvard Business Review case study in 2010.
Starting with the 2009 One Report, Burns & McDonnell has helped Southwest Airlines publish annual One Reports; the team is currently working on the 2012 Southwest Airlines One ReportTM.
Southwest Airlines first engaged Burns & McDonnell to provide third-party verification on its 2008 Corporate Sustainability Report. Since then Burns & McDonnell has assisted Southwest Airlines in creating its first and subsequent One Reports — developing content, conducting a GHG inventory, complying with GRI and CDP, and providing third-party verification and external assurance. Southwest Airlines has also engaged Burns & McDonnell to assist in developing KPIs to better evaluate performance and gauge progress as well as assisting in preparation of sustainability award applications. Read the latest Southwest Airlines One Report at: www.southwestonereport.com.
- Develop content and publish integrated reports
- Conduct greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory
- Identify key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Prepare sustainability award applications
- Compliance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) framework
- Assist with the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
- Provide third-party verification and external assurance
- Data collection, subject matter expert interviews and content development for the One Report
- Robust GHG inventory developed in accordance with World Resource Institute protocol
- Comprehensive inventory and business consulting, including tracking progress toward sustainability goals, assistance with the development of KPIs and preparing sustainability award applications
- GRI sustainability reporting framework incorporated to achieve a B+ application level for the 2011 and 2010 One Reports, C+ for the 2009 One Report
- Third-party verification and external assurance