- Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project
As one of the largest electric utilities companies in the nation, Southern California Edison (SCE) serves more than 13 million customers in their region of operation. SCE is dedicated to pursuing increased usage of renewable energy sources to reduce our nation’s dependence on fossil fuels. Toward that end, SCE is pursuing transmission from wind farms under construction in Kern and Los Angeles counties to their customers.
- Owner’s agent
- Planning and support in selecting one or more EPC contractors
- EPC contractor management
- Project management support
- Environmental planning and monitoring
- Preliminary engineering and program planning
In order to increase transmission of renewable energy to their customers, SCE requires the completion of a project known as the Tehachapi Renewable Transmission Project (TRTP). TRTP involves 11 segments with construction completion phased through 2013.
Burns & McDonnell is assigned project oversight for the first three segments, totaling approximately 87 miles of 220-kV and 500-kV transmission line. This will bring consumers power from wind farms in Kern and Los Angeles counties. This project is a demonstration of SCE’s dedication to providing renewable sources of energy to its customers. Along with the 87 miles of transmission line, TRTP segments 1, 2 and 3 require the modification of three existing SCE substations and construction of two new ones.
Management of the project is handled by Burns & McDonnell’s Orange County regional office with support from a project office in Ontario, Calif. This provides oversight by people familiar with California construction and environmental regulations, promising smooth implementation of this major project.
- 60 miles of 500-kV transmission line
- 27 miles of 220-kV transmission line
- Modification of three existing substations
- Two new substations in the wind farm region
- Regional Training Institute - Phase One
- Smart Grid Demonstration Project
- Northwest Transmission Line
- Transmission System Modernization
- Sunrise Powerlink Project
- Packaged Hybrid CHP Plant
- Corporate Environmental Responsibility Report & Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Transmission and Substation EPC Projects
- Voluntary Reporting of Greenhouse Gases