- U.S. 69 Missouri River Bridge Replacement
The Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT), in cooperation with the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT), selected the design-build delivery method to replace aging twin bridges over the Missouri River. Our team performed the Environmental Assessment in 2013 and subsequently served as owner’s engineer for the procurement, design and construction phases. The team’s experience on 14 Missouri River crossings added considerable value to the development of proposal documents, stakeholder coordination, and design and constructability reviews. They co-located at MoDOT’s district headquarters and the project site, and served as fully integrated members of the team.
Key services in each phase included:
- Procurement phase — Site survey, right-of-way investigation, subsurface utility engineering and investigation, deep foundation geotechnical borings, protected species habitat reports, soil contamination assessments, hydraulic and scour studies, levee impact mitigation, barge collision analysis, preliminary bridge layouts, structure types, cost estimates, RFQ and RFP development, and evaluation of proposer submittals.
- Design phase — Plan reviews for conformance to AASHTO and MoDOT design guidelines and contract requirements.
- Construction phase — Oversight and constructability reviews of plans. Review of requests for information, field design changes and non-conformance reports and repairs.
- Preliminary bridge layouts and cost
- Stakeholder coordination
- Utility investigation and coordination
- Environmental permitting
- Proposal document development
- Design plan overview
- Construction phase support