- Various Telecommunications Projects
Beginning in 1988, Burns & McDonnell provided all of the City of Riverside Public Utilities’ communication system planning and design, including needs assessments, master plans, fiber optic design and construction management, synchronous optical network (SONET) design, land-mobile radio (LMR) design, radio tower design and construction management, digital microwave systems design, cybersecurity policy development, wide area network (WAN) design, and documentation standards development.
- Master planning
- Fiber optic network design
- Digital microwave design
- Land-mobile radio design
- Cybersecurity policy development
- Federal Communications Commission coordination
- Radio tower design
- Construction management
The City of Riverside's telecommunications infrastructure evolved and grew during the course of these projects completed by Burns & McDonnell. Work has included needs assessments, master plans and WAN design using gigabit Ethernet technologies.
Burns & McDonnell’s design services to the city have included:
- Expansion of the fiber optic system to 22 additional municipality and public safety facilities.
- Development of a citywide communications needs assessment study and master plan for improvements in communications for all 14 city departments.
- Design and construction management of more than 60 miles of fiber optic cable, including both all-dielectric self-supporting (ADSS) aerial and underground segments.
- Design of a SONET fiber optic transmission system consisting of 36 nodes configured in multiple self-healing rings for protective relaying, SCADA, voice, data and wide-area Ethernet services.
- Design and construction management of a VHF LMR system upgrade to provide better performance and coverage for the utility voice dispatch.
- Design and construction management of new radio tower facilities including towers and buildings to support improved radio communications for the City of Riverside utilities, police and fire departments.
- Design of 18 GHz digital microwave radio systems for inter-site communications at locations not accessible with fiber.
- Development of cyber security policies for SCADA/element management systems (EMS).
- Development of improvements to the city’s Ethernet WAN to improve reliability and utilize fiber resources more efficiently.
- Development of standards for drawings and documentation pertaining to the communications systems.
- Fiber optics
- Digital microwave
- Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)