- Wastewater Pretreatment System Upgrade
Burns & McDonnell designed and built an upgrade to the existing industrial wastewater pretreatment plant at the Alter Depot Plating Shop for Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma. The upgrade was part of improvements to the entire plating shop. The Alter Plating Shop is the Department of Defense's largest plating shop.
The industrial wastewater from the plating shop is segregated into four waste streams before treatment: process wastewater, chrome wastewater, concentrated waste acid and concentrated waste alkali. The wastewaters are combined, treated to reduce hexavalent chromium, neutralized to precipitate heavy metals, flocculated/clarified/filtered to remove metal precipitates and discharged to the base industrial wastewater treatment plant. The precipitated sludge from the clarifier is dewatered using a thickener, filter press and dryer before off-site disposal.
The project also included equipment procurement, factory inspections, assistance with project construction and development of an Operations & Maintenance Manual.
- Construction engineering
The upgrade included:
- Installation of a double-contained fiberglass tank to store concentrated waste acid. An air diaphragm pump also was installed to bleed the concentrated waste into the pretreatment system.
- Installation of another double-contained fiberglass tank for concentrated waste alkali, also with an air diaphragm pump.
- New sump and self-priming, magnetic drive centrifugal pumps to transfer process wastewater to the equalization system.
- Reuse of five 20,000 gallon tanks to provide a cascade style equalization system. Two new centrifugal pumps circulate wastewater through the tanks. Two additional centrifugal pumps transfer the wastewater out of the equalization system and into the downstream pretreatment system.
- Filtrate tank and transfer pumps to transfer sand filter backwash water, filter press filtrate and thicken supernatent back to the equalization system.
- Air diaphragm pumps to transfer slurry from the clarifier into a new thickener.
- Air diaphragm pumps to transfer thickened sludge to the existing filter press.
- New controls.