- Wide-Body Hangar - Dulles
This new wide-body hangar can house two aircraft from the United Airlines fleet simultaneously, including B767-300, A350-1000 and the Dreamliner B787-9. Burns & McDonnell provided full architecture and engineering services, including construction administration and coordination with United and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. The hangar provides essential utilities for the United maintenance team, including 400-Hertz power and preconditioned air service pits in the hangar floor, compressed air, potable water stations, and a 15-ton overhead crane capable of covering the entire floor plan. The facility design features such sustainable measures as energy-efficient lighting, HVAC systems and low-flush, low-flow water fixtures. Regional and recycled materials were incorporated where feasible.
- Construction administration
- Building size: Hangar bay, 92,000 square feet; adjoining shops and office, 18,000 square feet
- Building function and services: Maintenance hangar
- Specialized areas: 15-ton overhead crane; low-level, high expansion foam system for reduced water use without a large capture and storage system