- Wind Farm Site Selection App Development
Our team provided project development support services to aid Tenaska in its wind farm prospecting efforts within the MISO and PJM regional transmission organization territories.
First contingency incremental transfer capability (FCITC) studies were conducted for every possible point of interconnection (POI) in MISO and PJM. The results were mapped and made available to Tenaska via a custom siting application that was designed, built and hosted by Burns & McDonnell. Various infrastructure and wind resource data sets were also integrated into the siting tool.
- Transmission capacity studies
- Custom site selection application development
- Wind resource data aggregation
Tenaska is a large independent power producer that has historically developed gas-fired projects. As Tenaska initiated a new business unit to begin developing renewable energy projects, it looked to our team for project development support and transmission planning services. We were retained to:
- Develop and host a robust, aggregated and interactive data set covering all of the PJM and MISO regions.
- Conduct FCITC analyses at each modeled bus and at the midpoint of each transmission line 69 kV or higher in PJM and MISO. The studies simulated a DC transfer analysis under N-1 contingency conditions and identified network impacts at each POI under study up to 1,000 MW.
- Develop a custom siting tool that will allow Tenaska to visually see (in the form of a heat map) where transmission capacity exists as well as at each individual POI studied.
- Identify and highlight the most attractive areas for wind development where transmission capacity, relatively good wind resources, and minimal environmental impacts appear to converge.
In addition to the data we collected and incorporated into the siting application, we also incorporated Tenaska-provided data into the tool so that its development data could be viewed within a consistent platform.
- Every POI (bus and branch data) was analyzed in MISO and PJM
- Customized to allow the FCITC results to be filtered for specific project sizes
- FCITC results were delivered alongside wind resource data, electric infrastructure data, and various environmental data sets that were determined to be applicable to renewable energy projects.