Over water, over rail, over road. Whatever you need to cross and wherever you're crossing, We will get you to the other side.
We're Up to the Challenge
Whether it's a bridge, culvert, retaining wall or other roadway-related structure, our engineers and technical specialists are up to the task. Our bridge engineers can design to any Department of Transportation criteria utilizing both AASHTO Load Factor Design (LFD) and Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) methods. Our geotechnical and hydraulics teams will ensure your project rests on solid footing.
When aesthetics are part of the package, we combine functionality with a structure that complements the surrounding environment. Our in-house staff includes a broad range of specialties to ensure the successful completion of your project: environmental permitting, planning, roadway design, right-of-way acquisition, construction management, even engaging the public.
We have been solving infrastructure challenges since 1898. Our employee-owner culture means our staff has the commitment to ensure quality in everything we do. We're not successful unless you are.
We have historical and modern experience with and understanding of the special design considerations unique to movable bridges. Our bridges provide shared port access for ships, railcars, cars and trucks. Our experience includes all types of vertical lift, swing, floating and retractable spans, with operating systems that range from simple manual systems to sophisticated programmable electronic controls.
Customized designs specify exactly what's right for the job — like the zinc-rich, high-build urethane paint system that protects a South San Francisco swing bridge adjacent to salt ponds from corrosion and construction programs that protect environmentally sensitive areas.
From recreation of ornate elements on historic bridges to modern gateways to growing cities such as Omaha, Neb., to the protected bikeway on a 2,244-foot bridge across the Missouri River to Hermann, Mo., our bridges are designed to meet clients' needs and exceed expectations. Our 2,670-foot bridge over the Missouri River at Waverly, Mo., was completed more than a year ahead of schedule and $4 million under budget, in part due to a design that eliminated costly haunched girder webs. Our services include development of steel or concrete girder alternatives, drilling of shaft foundations, and coordination with agencies including the Corps of Engineers and Coast Guard.
Municipal & County Bridges
As your city grows or country roads carry increased traffic, residents need the safety and convenience that adding, replacing or renovating a bridge can provide. Our team will assist you in every stage of designing, estimating and building your city or county bridge improvements, including right-of-way acquisition and state and federal permitting. We understand that appearance and cost are major concerns. Our bridge designs accommodate clients' needs for pedestrian access or materials that aesthetically blend with a natural landscape or historic district. We have the ability to expedite all phases of design and construction to quickly execute emergency repairs or replacements due to high water flows or other catastrophic events.
You May Also Like:
- Union Station Expansion
- Daniel Boone Bridge over Missouri River
- I-35 & Homestead Lane Interchange
- Antioch Road Bridge over Indian Creek
- I-135 Reconstruction - Harvey County
- Kehrs Mill/Long Road at Wild Horse Creek Road
- Relocation of Missouri Route 19
- Rockhill Road - 48th Street to Volker Boulevard
- Route 19 Missouri River Bridge
- Sonderen Street Extension
- EPC Is Accelerating Its Impact on the Transportation Industry
- California Explores the Essential Elements of Climate-Safe Infrastructure
- Speeding Toward a Future With Self-Driving Cars
- The Right Approach for a Lasting Impression
- Operating Without Interruption
- Raising Bridges With an Efficient EPC Approach
- Sustaining Opportunity, Growing Success
- The Evolution of the Daniel Boone Bridge
- SOS: Answering the Call When Disaster Strikes
- Voices of Experience
- Burns & McDonnell Names New Transportation Leader
- Kansas City Business Journal: Burns & McDonnell names new global transportation head
- Two Burns & McDonnell Projects Recognized for Engineering Excellence by Missouri Chapter of the American Council of Engineering Companies
- Burns & McDonnell Wins Engineering Excellence Award for Turnkey Bridge-Raising Project on Kansas Turnpike
- A Successful Approach: Union Station Westward Expansion Wins ACEC Award
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute 2018 Design Awards: Transportation - Best Main Span Bridge
- Design-Build Transportation Work Drives Omaha Growth for Burns & McDonnell
- Kansas City Star: Big trucks won't get stuck under these Kansas Turnpike bridges
- Lifting Bridges Is Making Room for More Freight on the Kansas Turnpike
- The Kansas City Star: Burns & McDonnell hired for Kansas Turnpike bridge project
Send Us a Note
Kevin Eisenbeis Director of Bridges 816-276-1588