Grow your career with us.
Our commitment to our clients in Canada is firm, building on decades of work. Our Calgary office anchored our Burns & McDonnell Canada operations starting in 2011, and our Toronto office, opened in 2016, furthers our presence.
As we have expanded from coast to coast, engineers, construction professionals, consultants and scientists have joined us, working on big projects for major Canadian firms, like Altalink, BC Hydro, Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation.
Our work extends across all of our markets, including power, oil and gas, environmental, water, aviation and manufacturing. Explore the website to see where you could become part of our team and how you could create amazing with us.
Mid-Level to Senior Geologist/Hydrogeologist/Engineer: Calgary, Alberta
The successful candidate will pursue, execute and manage projects related to remediation and reclamation, hydrology and hydrogeology. The candidate will also drive client service and business development and help develop our geology/hydrogeology practice in Alberta. Successful candidates will be required to build and maintain relationships with clients, track market trends and project opportunities, develop proposals and marketing materials, network and meet with potential clients.
The successful candidate will lead a variety of remediation, reclamation, oil and gas, and water related projects, including:
- Conducting, managing and coordinating environmental site assessments, remediation and reclamation projects
- Conducting regional and local hydrogeological assessments; groundwater flow, monitoring and remediation; and risk assessment
- Conducting contaminated sites investigations, transport modeling and developing remedial options
- Developing strategies and providing leadership and technical expertise to lead remediation and reclamation projects, project performance and delivery
- Preparing and reviewing technical reports, developing proposals and project execution/management plans
- Liaising with clients, regulators and other stakeholders with a goal to solidifying relationships with clients
The successful candidate must possess the following skills:
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, organizational, analytical, system thinking and problem-solving skills
- Tenacity, creativity, foresight, and sound judgment in developing the practice and making sound decisions
- Proven technical writing and verbal communication skills, and excellent ability working with and presenting complex concepts to clients
- Business acumen to generate new ideas and develop project opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex projects and manage multi-disciplinary teams including environmental scientists, engineers, hydrogeologists/geologists, etc.
- Energetic, self-motivated, detail-oriented; positive attitude and an ability to collaborate in a team setting; work in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong enduring client relationships
- Strong commitment to safety, quality and project delivery excellence
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with MS Office Word/Excel/PowerPoint and Outlook
The successful candidate must possess the following minimum requirements:
- Potential candidates must have an undergraduate or graduate degree in Geology, Hydrogeology or Engineering. Higher degrees are preferred.
- 8-plus years of relevant experience in a similar role within a consulting engineering environment
- Possess strong project management and business development skills
- Possess working knowledge of industry standard software such as AQUACHEM, MODFLOW, AQTESOLV, Surfer, AccuMap, FEEFLOW and GeoSCOUT, etc.
- Proven project experience and understanding of relevant regulatory requirements including but not limited to Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Alberta Tier 1 & 2 Soil and Groundwater Remediation Guideline, reclamation criteria for oil and gas, and water related guidelines such as Canadian Council of Ministers of Environment Guidelines
- Demonstrated experience conducting and managing Phase I, II and III Environmental Site Assessments and reclamation projects
- Willingness to travel and ability to meet client needs
- Authorization to work in Canada and valid class 5 driver’s license with no restrictions and a clean driving record
- Professional Geoscientist (P. Geol) or Professional Engineer (P. Eng) designation with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Project Management Professional (PMP) is a plus
- A combination of office and field-based work
- Some potential for business related travel
- Balance of 60 percent office and 40 percent field work