- Design-Build for Water & Wastewater Infrastructure
- Green Infrastructure
- Industrial Water & Wastewater
- Master Planning for Water & Wastewater Utilities
- Municipal Water & Wastewater
- Smart Infrastructure
- Wastewater & Stormwater Collection
- Water & Wastewater Program Management
- Water Supply & Distribution
- Federal & Military
- Agencies & Military Branches
- Energy Resiliency
- Environmental Services for Military Facilities
- Foreign Military Sales
- Military Fueling
- Military Master Planning
- Smart Governance
- Air Quality & Noise
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Compliance
- Environmental Studies & Permitting
- Mitigation Banking
- Natural & Cultural Resources
- Solid Waste & Resource Recovery
- Stakeholder Management
- Electric Power Generation
- Distributed Energy Resources
- Environmental Compliance for Power Generation
- Fossil Generation
- Plant Improvements
- Power Generation Project Delivery
- Electrical Transmission & Distribution
- Electrical Distribution
- Electrical Transmission
- Electric Utility Cybersecurity
- Grid Modernization
- Routing, Siting & Permitting
- Smart Energy
- Aviation Infrastructure
- Aviation Support Facilities
- Aviation Technology & Security Systems
- Deicing & Glycol Recycling
- Electric Aviation
- Fueling & Ramp Services
- General Aviation
- Passenger Terminals
- Smart Airports
- Building Solutions
- Commercial Buildings
- Manufacturing & Industrial Facilities
- Mission-Critical Buildings
- Chemicals, Oil & Gas
At its simplest, commissioning (Cx) is a process for verifying that you get what you pay for — trust, but verify.
But more broadly stated, commissioning processes allow a facility owner to document that systems work, materials are as expected, and overall project performance meets defined objectives and criteria.
We have built a commissioning team that specializes in focusing on the key aspects of a facility's design that rank highest in importance with you, the facility owner. We help your project meet your goals. Our experience includes applying commissioning principles to all types of facilities, from commercial real estate to industrial plants.
Commissioning can be applied to new construction, existing projects that were initially commissioned (recommissioning), or existing facilities that were never commissioned (retro-commissioning). It can apply to traditional facilities systems — HVAC, controls and electrical — as well as a range of emerging systems (building envelopes, renewable power, information technology) and nontraditional systems (packaging lines, wastewater treatment and power turbines).
We have an in-depth understanding of how commissioning integrates with sustainable design, including the implementation of measures to qualify for mandatory credits and enhanced commissioning credits under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. Our more than 260 LEED Accredited Professionals cover all design and construction disciplines, helping you take advantage of all relevant opportunities.
Correctional Facility Commissioning
Burns & McDonnell
Our firm served as the commissioning manager for the ground up design and construction of a 33-building correctional campus with a comprehensive array of supporting facilities and infrastructure, housing 3,600 inmates and providing more operational space for prison staff. This new campus project is the largest construction project ever undertaken by the State of Utah.
Act Opens Pathways to Operate Federal Facilities More Efficiently
Burns & McDonnell
Monitoring-based commissioning and energy management information systems are part of the solution for federal facilities to meet requirements of the Energy Act of 2020.
Operational and Cost Benefits of Early Commissioning
Burns & McDonnell
Engaging commissioning and startup staff early in the project life cycle and detail design helps to minimize potential startup and operational risks. A comprehensive turnover, commissioning and startup plan sees to it that all aspects of a facility, power plant, refinery or electrical substation function as expected.