The use of fossil hydrocarbons has fostered human growth and prosperity more than any other resource. Recent emphasis on environmental, social and governance-minded investing strategies has driven interest in low carbon options.
As the search for sustainable alternatives continues, companies are finding ways to augment with less carbon-intensive options — renewable energy, renewable fuels, renewable natural gas and renewable chemicals.
You face technological and financial risks as you bring new products to market. Our team brings innovative perspectives to your projects, helping you define and develop them to achieve predictable project outcomes by leveraging our disciplined front-end planning process. Your project benefits from our integrated approach, moving cohesively from concept through permitting and compliance through construction. Our ability to provide construction resources whether those resources are union or non-union, direct hire, subcontractor or joint venture allows us to understand the market. This market knowledge is the foundation for confidence in our total installed cost (TIC) for the project we construct. Whether you prefer engineer-procure-construct (EPC) delivery, construction management or another project execution method, we have the flexibility to meet your needs.
We are a trusted partner in developing projects through traditional and developing technologies. Having decades of experience with fermentation, hydrotreating and chemical processes gives us a deep understanding of the renewable industry and your needs. Many of our projects deal with unusual and "first-of-a-kind" processes. Our process staff is skilled in applying engineering principles to solve problems and address the challenges of this technology transfer. We believe our diversity provides our clients with a unique value-add in the renewable space. Our experience includes such biofuels as ethanol, cellulosic ethanol, biodiesel, renewable diesel, renewable gasoline, sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), and renewable fuels. We help you plan, design, manage and build out these high-risk initiatives that can become game-changers in your business.
Technical Experience for All Implementations
Our technology-neutral approach allows us to work closely with varying technology companies to find the solutions that fit your projects. Our team can address all aspects of renewable fuel projects:
- Feedstock pretreatment. We design new and retrofit pretreatment processes, considering the feedstock properties and requirements to determine the refining required. We have designed specialized pretreatment facilities to handle multiple feedstocks — from vegetable oils to yellow grease and beef tallow — and address degumming, neutralizing, bleaching and filtration.
- Feedstock flexibility. Our team has experience evaluating and designing for feedstocks ranging from animal fats to plant oils and both virgin and recycled materials. We adapt systems to accommodate varied triglyceride feedstock sources, and we can guide your project to establish processes that work with your available materials.
- Hydroprocessing. Our experience ranges from early-phase studies to full engineer-procure-construct (EPC) projects. We have completed fast-track regulatory installations and complex hydrotreater and hydrocracker revamps.
- Fermentation. Working with a variety of technology providers, we help you study, plan and develop your fermentation processes to fit your renewable fuel and renewable chemical production needs.
- Wastewater. Renewable facilities produce high volumes of difficult-to-treat wastewater requiring dedicated treatment systems before discharge. We can deliver cost-effective solutions for the treatment of FOG, BOD, COD and solids and other unique water treatment challenge posed by your specific operations.
- Logistics and storage. We understand the logistics considerations for successful delivery and material handling of agricultural feedstocks, the modes of transportation, and the complexities of blending and storage.
Renewable Diesel Plant
LanzaJet: LanzaJet awards EPC contracts to Zeton and Burns & McDonnell
Cultivate Sustainable Benefits With Renewable Fuels and Chemicals
You May Also Like:
Q&A: Meaghan McCaffrey Examines Renewable Fuels Trends
Understanding Safety Challenges in Truck and Rail Facility Design
Calumet Partners With Burns & McDonnell for Renewable Diesel Project
Chad Hotovec Named as CEO and Director of Burns & McDonnell India
Send Us a Note
Meaghan McCaffrey Managing Director 314-682-1624