- Design-Build for Water & Wastewater Infrastructure
- Green Infrastructure
- Industrial Water & Wastewater
- Master Planning for Water & Wastewater Utilities
- Municipal Water & Wastewater
- Smart Infrastructure
- Wastewater & Stormwater Collection
- Water & Wastewater Program Management
- Water Supply & Distribution
- Federal & Military
- Agencies & Military Branches
- Energy Resiliency
- Environmental Services for Military Facilities
- Foreign Military Sales
- Military Fueling
- Military Master Planning
- Smart Governance
- Air Quality & Noise
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Compliance
- Environmental Studies & Permitting
- Mitigation Banking
- Natural & Cultural Resources
- Solid Waste & Resource Recovery
- Stakeholder Management
- Electric Power Generation
- Distributed Energy Resources
- Emerging Technologies
- Environmental Compliance for Power Generation
- Natural Gas Generation
- Plant Services
- Electrical Transmission & Distribution
- Aviation Infrastructure
- Aviation Support Facilities
- Aviation Technology & Security Systems
- Deicing & Glycol Recycling
- Electric Aviation
- Fueling & Ramp Services
- General Aviation
- Passenger Terminals
- Smart Airports
- Building Solutions
- Commercial Buildings
- Manufacturing & Industrial Facilities
- Mission-Critical Buildings
- Oil, Gas & Chemicals
- Program Management
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) advances energy research, maintains domestic nuclear security and secures science and technology nationwide.
We help you safely execute the most challenging missions under scrutinized conditions, demonstrated by our established safety record.
We combine technical experience with a deep understanding of the contractual, political and logistical challenges of the energy industry and national security enterprise, delivering on critical, risky and challenging projects. From designing and building one-of-a-kind critical facilities to program management for secure facility operations and campus relocations, we work with your success in mind.
Likewise, in support of the DOE’s efforts to advance renewable and conventional energy generation technologies, our professionals are on the leading edge of transforming how power is generated, distributed and consumed to protect our nation’s critical missions worldwide.
Quality Assurance Programs
You expect assurance of quality work from your project partners. Our world-class quality assurance program is a defined Federal Quality Assurance Program (FQAP) and conforms to these key criteria:
- American Society American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) NQA-1-2008, 2009 and 2001 addenda. In 2024, we are revising to meet ASME NQA-1-2022.
- ASME NQA-1 Part II, Subpart 2.7: Safety Software Quality Assurance and Subpart 2.14: Commercial Grade Dedication.
- Mandated regulatory requirements of 10 CFR 830 Sub Part A, DOE O 414.1D, DOE-STD-1073 and a Suspect/Counterfeit and Damaged Items Prevention Program (DOE 0 414.1D).
Our processes support our completed tasks and aid us in effectively managing costs and potential hazards. We evaluate our risk, hazards and the complexity of our work for each project. This evaluation process helps balance the design team’s agenda with risks and requirements. This is an essential part of our graded approach process.
While our FQAP contains standardized requirements for auditing subcontractors and developing project administration manuals and project-specific quality assurance plans, our customized FQAP program has been:
- Audited and approved by Washington River Protection Solutions (WRPS) for implementation at Hanford Site and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL).
- Audited and approved by Consolidated Nuclear Security LLC (CNS) for implementation at Y-12 National Security Complex and Pantex Plant.
- Audited and approved by Los Alamos National Security (LANS) for implementation at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL).
- Approved by Savannah River Nuclear Security (SRNS) for implementation at Savannah River Site.
Custom Equipment Design & Fabrication
We understand the complexities of designing gloveboxes that meet specific, specialized requirements. Our design team has in-depth glovebox industry experience that helps generate a solution that balances your needs and budget with the needs of fabrication. We have delivered cohesive, ergonomic, cost-effective and cost-efficient glovebox designs to varied clients. Our team has successfully integrated custom equipment inside gloveboxes for laboratory and process facilities.
Our team’s experience includes working side by side with fabricators, developing critical understanding of the fabrication process and how good design factors in fabrication from the beginning. This close connection with fabricators influences our deliverables and prepares you to move into procurement with a buildable design.
As a perennial top 10 design and design-build firm as ranked by Engineering News-Record, we have proven, in-house capabilities for successful execution of construction projects. Our comprehensive experience is steeped in:
- A safety-first culture. Our work at DOE/National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) sites supports our understanding of site access procedures and project-specific safety requirements. Our safety results beat industry standards set by the Construction Industry Institute and the Bureau of Labor Statistics. From 2020 and 2023, we achieved 130,000-plus hours of recordable, incident-free work on design-build projects at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) and LANL.
- Fully integrated team operations. We use a construction approach that deploys multiple teams to successfully execute work orders. Our strategies allow us to prepare for market volatility, maximizing value and lead times. Our experience includes two major design-build projects at LLNL since 2018, and we are currently working on projects at the Pantex Plant and within the NNSA complex-wide Cooling and Heating Asset Management Program (CHAMP).
- Localized teaming partnerships. With offices nationwide, we draw from a pool of more than 1,400 diverse and small businesses that we have registered and worked with previously. We assemble teams, with regional experience, that meet project diversity goals.
Pantex Plant Multiyear IDIQ & HESFP Facility
Modernizing Critical Facilities for Today’s Demands
Burns & McDonnell
As national defense responses change over the years, so must the supporting infrastructure. To enhance performance and increase efficiencies, Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS) is upgrading its Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
Supply Chain Management Center Contract