- Design-Build for Water & Wastewater Infrastructure
- Green Infrastructure
- Industrial Water & Wastewater
- Master Planning for Water & Wastewater Utilities
- Municipal Water & Wastewater
- Smart Infrastructure
- Wastewater & Stormwater Collection
- Water & Wastewater Program Management
- Water Supply & Distribution
- Federal & Military
- Agencies & Military Branches
- Energy Resiliency
- Environmental Services for Military Facilities
- Foreign Military Sales
- Military Fueling
- Military Master Planning
- Smart Governance
- Air Quality & Noise
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Compliance
- Environmental Studies & Permitting
- Mitigation Banking
- Natural & Cultural Resources
- Solid Waste & Resource Recovery
- Stakeholder Management
- Electric Power Generation
- Distributed Energy Resources
- Environmental Compliance for Power Generation
- Fossil Generation
- Plant Improvements
- Power Generation Project Delivery
- Electrical Transmission & Distribution
- Electrical Distribution
- Electrical Transmission
- Electric Utility Cybersecurity
- Grid Modernization
- Routing, Siting & Permitting
- Smart Energy
- Aviation Infrastructure
- Aviation Support Facilities
- Aviation Technology & Security Systems
- Fueling & Ramp Services
- General Aviation
- Passenger Terminals
- Smart Airports
- Building Solutions
- Commercial Buildings
- Manufacturing & Industrial Facilities
- Mission-Critical Buildings
- Chemicals, Oil & Gas
Major streets and arterial roads are critical pathways to get people where they need to go safely and with minimal disruption. Our team enables communities to improve safety and mobility using innovative street and urban roadway designs.
We develop transportation solutions in close collaboration with city, county and state agencies, accounting for future needs that include multimodal accommodations, intersection control features and other improvements. We combine that experience with the skills of our hardscape design professionals, who apply landscape architecture and electrical systems to develop streetscapes that enhance the appearance of neighborhoods while addressing compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
Moving Transportation Forward
Our team also helps plan and implement intelligent transportation systems (ITS), LED lighting and traffic signal systems, which may use fiber-optic connections and feature detection technologies like radar, adaptive traffic systems and thermal imaging.
We take a proactive approach to project development, which creates the opportunity to identify challenges and propose cost-effective solutions that will improve or maintain credibility and trust among residents and elected officials. We can also provide strategic analysis and planning to help you pursue federal funding opportunities for critical infrastructure upgrades.
Comprehensive Services Beyond Street Design
We have in-house specialists who understand National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and Federal Highway Administration requirements. Their evaluations help to stretch tax dollars and provide safer and more efficient roadway systems for local communities.
Your project can be delivered via the approach that best fits your needs, including design-bid-build, design-build, progressive design-build, owner’s engineer, program management, or construction management. Our team includes in-house professionals in the design, construction, environmental and other disciplines necessary to address all transportation infrastructure initiatives. In addition to city streets, we have experience with bike and pedestrian facilities, access roads for airports and industrial parks, and complex intersections supporting intermodal development and heavy urban traffic.
Pandemic Paradox: Roadway Fatalities Rise as Traffic Volumes Drop
Burns & McDonnell
Even as traffic and miles driven dropped during the pandemic, many U.S. states experienced a spike in road fatalities.
Illinois, Let's Discuss Our Roundabouts
Burns & McDonnell
Illinois lags behind its neighbors in the implementation of roundabouts statewide, but acceptance is slowly increasing. Counties and municipalities throughout the state would benefit from convening to rigorously discuss roundabout design information and review best practices.